Tuesday, March 17, 2026

Log 2 | Feeding Billions, and the Cost of Speed

It’s easy to romanticize the past.

But the truth is, the world we live in today is very different from the one I remember as a child.

Back then, food came from nearby.
Now, it moves across regions, across countries.

And more importantly, there are simply… more of us.

Seven, eight billion people.
All needing to eat. Every single day.

When I think about that, I understand why things had to change.

We needed more yield.
More consistency.
More predictability.

And to achieve that, we learned how to accelerate growth.

Fertilizers. Controlled inputs. Optimized cycles.

It wasn’t a mistake.
It was, in many ways, a solution.


When Everything Grows Faster

But like most solutions, it came with a quiet trade-off.

When growth is accelerated,
the process shortens.

And sometimes, the result feels… incomplete.

I’ve had mangoes that tasted closer to green papaya.
Cucumbers that held more water than flavor.

Nothing is wrong, technically.
They look right. They store well. They travel far.

But something subtle is missing.

Not sweetness.
Not texture.

Just… depth.


Returning to the Soil, Differently

This is where my thinking begins to shift.

Not toward rejection.
But toward choice.

If I am only feeding myself,
or a small circle of people around me,

then maybe I don’t need to optimize for scale.

Maybe I can optimize for something else.


Slower Inputs, Living Systems

I find myself drawn back to simpler things.

Ash from burned grass.
Worm castings from a small compost system.
Water plants, left to decompose and return to the soil.

Nothing engineered.
Nothing precisely measured.

Just materials that move slowly,
breaking down over time,
feeding the soil in a way that feels… continuous.

It’s not efficient in the modern sense.
It doesn’t scale.

But it aligns with something I remember.


A Different Kind of Output

I don’t expect perfection.

I don’t expect abundance in the way large systems define it.

But I am curious about something else:

What happens when plants are allowed to complete their cycle,
in soil that is fed slowly, over time?

Will the result be enough?

Not for everyone.
But maybe… enough for me.


This isn’t a conclusion.

Just a direction I feel worth exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment